Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Twirling, Twirling Towards Freedom

As some of you probably already know, I do gymnastics twice a week at the Chelsea Piers facility. It's a great way to take my mind off the stresses of school, and it's also a great workout that isn't just about running or lifting. Maybe it's the musician in me, but it makes me really Inside Happy to know that my workout is ultimately about creating something beautiful.

Anyway, it's been a really awesome gymnastic week for me: I got my roundoff/back handspring combination solid enough that my teacher wants to add a back tuck to it next week (!), and tonight in Apparatus Class I did three (three!) things I've never even attempted before--a giant on high bar, a front handspring on vault, and a shoulder stand on rings.

And because a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth like several hundred photos per second or some shit, here are some YouTubes of what exactly the hell I'm talking about, performed by other people:

1. High Bar: Giant

2. Vault: Front Handspring (um, yeah, the first one)

3. Rings: Shoulder Stand


This guy cheated by wrapping his feet around the cable--it's much harder if you do it free.

No comments: