Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Shut Out (Again)

Along with millions of my fellow gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Americans, I was shut out of the collective joy over Barack Obama's election to be the next president of the United States by the passing of Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage in California.

And now I, along with all those same millions, will be shut out of the collective joy over Barack Obama's inauguration to the presidency by his selection of Rick Warren to deliver the invocation.

Mr. President-Elect: You have said that your selection of Pastor Warren was intended to send a message of inclusiveness. Well, here's my message of inclusiveness: We are Americans, too, and "inclusion" must include us.

I hope you will honor your desire to give all Americans a day we can be proud of.

No comments: